Students are admitted to the University by the Graduate Division, on the recommendation of the Department. To aid the department in making its recommendation, the prospective graduate students must provide the following:
- Graduate Admissions Online Application for Admission and Fellowship is available online in September at:
- Please note that we do not admit students for a Master’s degree. If applicants are admitted without one, they proceed straight to the Ph.D. degree.
- The Geography Department does not offer admission in the Spring (January).
Update for the 2023-2024 application cycle: GRE scores are OPTIONAL for students applying for the PhD program for Fall 2024 admission. Earth Systems Science applicants should consider the GRE optional; Human Geography applicants should understand that there is no need to take the exam.
- Applicants are required to list the faculty they have contacted or expect to contact concerning their application, as well as the faculty in the department whose research is of particular interest. Students should also self-report their TOEFL scores, if applicable, and calculate and report their undergraduate grade point average for all coursework after the first two years.
- Statement of purpose outlining the applicant’s intellectual objectives in her or his graduate career. You can refer to the Graduate Division Statement of Purpose Guide here: http://grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/apply/statement-purpose/
- Personal history statement. Make sure you indicate any challenges, hardships or obstacles you may have overcome. (We look at this as a sign of perseverance.) Let us know if you’ve supported yourself through school, if you’re a first generation college student, took on a leadership position, tutored or mentored underrepresented students, or took advantage of unique opportunities. You can refer to the Graduate Division Personal Statement Guide here: http://grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/apply/personal-statement/
- Transcripts: Applicants will upload unofficial transcripts of all previous academic work via the Graduate Admissions Online Application. Official transcripts will be required once admitted by the Graduate Division.
- Scores from an official TOEFL report (required of international applicants from countries whose official language is not English). If you have completed at least one year of full-time academic course work with grades of B or better in residence at a U. S. university, you do not need to take a standardized test. Instead you must submit an official transcript from the U. S. university that you attended. Please see the Graduate Division website http://grad.berkeley.edu/ for additional ways to demonstrate English proficiency.
- Three letters of academic appraisal, preferably from former instructors. Recommenders will submit these letters electronically via the graduate admissions website and are due on December 4, 2023.
- A writing sample is OPTIONAL and is not required.
- A C.V. is OPTIONAL but recommended.
- Applications are due on December 4, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. PST.
Applicants will upload unofficial transcripts of all previous academic work via the Graduate Admissions Online Application. Official transcripts will be required once admitted by the Graduate Division.
Please send all questions about the application process to Bobby Ewing (email@example.com).